Right now we're using node4, but given the problems we're facing when trying to implement the electron wrapper (task tray icon) and the windows' path length problem (https://github.com/GPII/windows/pull/76) the move to node6/npm3 becomes an immediate priority.
So we need to evaluate this move in the following way:
- Get universal working with node6/npm3
- When universal is ready, go for linux - Check with Avtar since he's already aware of a problem with node6 in linux - it seems that our native addons aren't build against the right version of v8
- Go for windows. It's still unclear whether node-ffi is ready or not for node6
Also, since our plan is to wrap our entire platform inside an electron app (which uses its own version of node.js), we may also want to check:
- Whether our update to node6 will work with electron's version of node
- Investigate whether it's possible to use our new edge.js approach for windows with electron